Ferdinand | EducationGhana |June 1|Top 5 Best Universities Making Global Impact in Achieving the SDGs in 2023
From the crisis of plastic in the oceans to gender disparities in pay, the world’s biggest concerns are more and more in the minds of consumers and corporations. And no one understands the importance of tackling these better than universities and students.
But which universities are incorporating these global issues into their governance? And how can we measure the real impact that universities are making on their students and wider communities?
Get all Updates from Ellis Ferdinand HERE
Times Higher Education has put together the Impact Rankings to shine a light on those institutions that are working hard to tackle global issues such as gender inequality, quality education for all, climate change and achieving peaceful societies and economic growth.
To put together the rankings, we mapped how universities around the world are committing to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The SDGs are a global call to action to tackle poverty, climate change and inequality.
This ranking is a crucial resource for students choosing universities because it moves away from assessing universities on their research output and focuses instead on the impact that universities are having on some of the world’s most pressing issues.
Top five universities in the Impact Rankings 2023
Western Sydney University tops the ranking for the second year running.
The university scored particularly highly for SDG 5 (gender equality), SDG 12 (responsible consumption and production) and SDG 17 (partnerships for the goals).
The university has prioritised research in areas relating to SDG 4 (quality education), SDGs 13,14 and 15 (relating to environment and sustainability), SDG 3 (good health and well-being) and SDGs 11 and 12 (sustainable cities and communities, and responsible consumption and production).
A series of key initiatives have also been introduced on campus to increase its sustainability, including implementing a pilot solar-powered car park on the Kingswood Campus, offsetting the carbon footprint of international travel and installing more electric-vehicle charging stations on campus.
The University of Manchester moves up this year from number nine to take second place.
The UK university has demonstrated its commitment to the SDGs through a range of research institutes and centres, including the Manchester Environmental Research Institute, the Manchester Institute of Innovation Research and the Sustainable Consumption Institute, among others.
On campus, the university has implemented the Living Campus plan, which aims to address the challenges of growing an urban campus while encouraging local biodiversity. The Student Union has also set a target for the university to become plastic-free by 2025.
Queen’s University scored particularly high for SDG 2 (zero hunger) and SDG 16 (peace, justice and strong institutions).
The university has created Sustainable Queen’s, a community that brings together university and local partners to tackle climate change and promote sustainability in Kingston.
There are a range of ways for students to get involved including student clubs, the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network Youth, and a range of academic programmes centred around sustainability and climate action.
Research institutes at the university are looking into a range of sustainable solutions in many areas including finance, water and energy.
Universiti Sains Malaysia is the only university in Asia to feature in the top 10 of the Impact Rankings.
It also scored highly in SDG 16 (peace, justice and strong institutions) and joint first for SDG 17 (partnerships for the goals).
The university has introduced a range of sustainable initiatives on campus including an undergraduate minor in sustainability and a postgraduate research programme as part of the Centre for Global Sustainability Studies.
The University of Tasmania is the second university from Australia to feature in the top five of the 2023 Impact Ranking.
It also takes first place for SDG 13 (climate action).
The university has been carbon neutral-certified since 2016. There is also a Sustainability Committee made up of senior leadership and student representatives at the university. The committee aims to identify and share actions that embed sustainability into university life.
There is also a range of green initiatives on campus such as the waste-minimisation action plan and the sustainable transport plan.
Get the World ranking HERE
OTHER INSTITUTIONAL RANKINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
OTHER INSTITUTIONAL RANKINGS IN AFRICA FOR YOU
- Top 20 Nigerian Universities Recognized by JAMB in 2023
- List of Top 9 Best Universities in Cairo, Egypt for 2023
- List of Top 2 Best Universities in Giza, Egypt for 2023
- List of Top 10 Best Universities in Egypt for 2023
- List of 20 Best Universities in Egypt for 2023
- How Ghana’s Richest Teachers make their Wealth in 2023
- Top 6 Notable Alumnus of UEW making Impact in Ghana for 2023
- 18-Year-Old Princess Korkor Boateng is Ghana’s Youngest Chartered Accountant
- Abdul Rahman Lansah is UDS Valedictorian with CGPA of 4.89 at the 23rd Congregation
UPDATES ON THE TEACHERS’ NOTICE BOARD
- GES announces official dates for the commencement of the 2023 District and Regional Transfers
- NTC announces dates for the issuance of Licenses to Newly Qualified Teachers
- GES releases List of 2023 Successful Recruitment Applicants
- 2023 Ghana Teacher Licensure Examination Timetable is Out – CHECK HERE
- NTC gives an official date for the conduct of the 2023 Teachers Licensure Examination
OTHER UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGE ADMISSIONS NEAR YOU
- UCC opens 2023/2024 admissions into B.Ed. Distance Programmes for Prospective SHS Teachers
- UDS Admission Form for Undergraduate and Diploma Programmes for the 2023/2024 academic year is Out
- UEW opens Distance Undergraduate Admissions for the 2023/2024 Academic Year
- UEW opens Regular Undergraduate Admissions for the 2023/2024 Academic Year
- Peki College of Education Official 2023/2024 Admission Forms Out -APPLY HERE
APPLY FOR THE LATEST SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES NEAR YOU
- The fully Funded University of Waterloo Scholarships 2023/2024
- Global Affairs Canada Scholarships for International Students 2023/2024
- Top 20 Best Fully Funded Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2023/2024 – APPLY HERE
- Fully Funded MEDIT/ACI PhD Scholarships in Turkey for the 2023/2024 Academic Year
- Fully Funded LUISS Excellent Masters Scholarship in Italy 2023/2024
2ND TERM SCHEME OF LEARNING AND LESSON PLAN FOR TEACHERS
- Exclusive Second Term JHS 2 Week 1 Lesson Plan for all Subjects
- Exclusive Second Term JHS 1 Week 1 Lesson Plan for all Subjects
- 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 3
- 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 2
- Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 1 to 3
Check This Out Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 1 to 3
Check Out the 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 2
Check Out the 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 3
- GESOPS board of trustees demand GHC5,865 before responding to RTI requests
- How managers of the Second Tier Pension Scheme of GES Staff destroyed the Funds in the dark
- Study Leave with pay for the 2023/2024 Academic Year is Out
- Application for Teachers’ Assurance Letters to Districts for 2023/2024 Transfers Opens
- Top List of Regional and District GNAT Secretaries Recruited and Reposted in 2023
Check This Out: Senior High School Selection Guidelines for 2022 BECE Candidates
How to write and Address a Letter of Sponsorship as a School in the GES HERE
How to write and address any form of Letter to the Ghana Education Service HERE
How to write and Address an Application for Car Maintenance Allowance as a Teacher HERE
Check the SHS Grading System HERE
Download the 2022 basic and shs Academic Calendar HERE
SEND US YOUR STORIES FOR PUBLICATION VIA WHATSAPP NUMBER0506440219
Get the Ghana Education ServiceNew Standard–Based Scheme of Learning (SOL)HERE
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Curriculum HERE
Get the WAECBECE, WASSCE, NTC Licensure Exam, and Teachers’ Promotion Exam Past Questions HERE
♥Copyright Notice: Content on This Website is Copyright Protected. No Part of this Content should be Reproduced without the Consent of the Author(s) or Recognition of the source of the Content.© 2020 Ellis Multimedia: EducationGhana.org: All Rights Reserved.♥