EducationGhana| September 1| What is Professional Development and why it is being Practiced
THE CPD FRAMEWORK – WHAT IS IT?
The CPD Framework was designed by the National Teaching Council to serve as a guide for teachers and service providers to plan, design and implement appropriate Professional Development (PD) plans and programs.
It is a document that highlights professional development activities, processes, procedures and products that define teacher career growth.
WHAT IS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (PD) ?
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (PD) refers to the process by which teachers maintain and enhance their knowledge, skills and experiences gained as they work, beyond any initial training.
Furthermore, it is a record of what teachers experience, learn and apply. It includes training and education programs organized within or outside the school environment that NTC approves as being relevant to the teaching profession and meet prescribed standards.
Check This Out: Important Facts about the Types of In-service Teachers in Ghana
RATIONALE FOR INTRODUCING PD ACTIVITIES
- To provide guidance for teachers to continue to improve their competencies to maintain the integrity of the teaching profession and improve their professional status.
2. It is envisaged that going through the listed accredited PD activities would help maintain and enhance the knowledge, skills, attitudes and experiences gained after the initial training of teachers.
3. It is essential for teachers as professionals to preserve their professional integrity by updating their knowledge and skills to keep them abreast of contemporary issues and approaches in education.
Check This Out: Important Facts about the Types of In service Teachers in Ghana
Why Continuous Professional Development (CPD)?
Knowledge is constantly evolving, new discoveries are made every day that challenge our convictions, what we know, and how we do things.
The following are evidence of a change in daily activities that caused a change in ideology:
Rotation and revolution
Geocentricism and heliocentricism
Issues of gender & sex
Check This Out: 2022: Important Factors to Consider before Upgrading to Principal Superintendent in the GES
The diagram below illustrates why the need for CPD
OBJECTIVES OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PD
PD for teachers is intended to:
i. Provide a forum for harnessing ideas and experiences to improve professional competence and
ii. Offer intellectual, emotional and social engagements for the teachers to enrich their experiences.
To teach for better understanding, teachers must be intellectually engaged in their discipline and work regularly with others in their field.
iii. Maintain high competence that results from life-long learning.
iv. Demonstrate social responsiveness by encouraging members of the teaching profession to collaborate as a community of experts (Professional Learning Community – PLC), be current, skilful and knowledgeable in their practice.
v. Keep teachers in good standing and be abreast of time.
vi. Maintain professional excellence.
vii. Make available prospects to supplement the initial training of teachers and improve their knowledge, skills, attitude and practices to meet diverse learners’ learning needs. viii. Assist teachers to adapt, contribute, think critically and participate actively in addressing challenges associated with teaching and learning and implement recommendations.
ix. Augment teachers’ commitment to their chosen profession.
ACTIVITIES THAT CONSTITUTE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PD
- Self-directed training using tools like the EmoEles self-directed learning tool/system (self-studying a course text from journals, books etc, self-studying professional videos, professional audios, etc).
2. Engaging in group activities either with professionals or learners (eg. Meetings, research, writing of a book, attending conferences or seminars, taking learners on excursions, presenting at workshops etc).
3. Receiving training or education from experts (eg. SBI/CBI /DBI).
4. Performing duty-related activities (lesson or learning notes preparation, scheme of learning/scheme of work preparation of action plan, writing of reports, conducting of assessment etc.).
TYPICAL MODES OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ARE
- Individual reading/study/research.
- Study groups among peers focused on a shared need or topic.
- Observation: teachers observe other teachers.
- Coaching: an expert teacher coaching one or more colleagues.
- Mentoring of new educators by more experienced colleagues.
- Team meetings to plan lessons, problem solve, improve performance
How to write and Address a Letter of Sponsorship as a School in the GES HERE
How to write and address any form of Letter to the Ghana Education Service HERE
How to write and Address an Application for Car Maintenance Allowance as a Teacher HERE
Check the SHS Grading System HERE
Download the 2022 basic and shs Academic Calendar HERE
SEND US YOUR STORIES FOR PUBLICATION VIA WHATSAPP NUMBER0506440219
Get the Ghana Education ServiceNew Standard–Based Scheme of Learning (SOL)HERE
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Curriculum HERE
Get the WAECBECE, WASSCE, NTC Licensure Exam, and Teachers’ Promotion Exam Past Questions HERE
♥Copyright Notice: Content on This Website is Copyright Protected. No Part of this Content should be Reproduced without the Consent of the Author(s) or Recognition of the source of the Content.© 2020 Ellis Multimedia: EducationGhana.org: All Rights Reserved.♥