The Ghana Education Service(GES) has put the Ghanaian populace in great surprise after it launched a laptop distribution exercise that was meant for teachers in the Public Basic Schools.
The GES launched the initiative ”One Teacher, One Laptop” today, September 3, 2021, at the St Mary’s Senior High School Campus.
Speaking at the event, the Director-General, of the GES Prof Kwesi Opoku Amankwa thanked the President for giving the teachers the opportunity to have access to laptops.
He also assured the president of the Teachers ability to use the laptops for their intended purpose.
He thanked GetFund for its financial support for the programme.
The government, in collaboration with Teacher Unions, has started the distribution of laptops to all teachers in public schools in the country.
Launching the initiative dubbed, ‘One Teacher One Laptop’, Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia stated that the project is to help improve the quality of education.
He indicated that teachers will bear 30 per cent of the cost while government absorbs the remaining 70 per cent.
Stressing that the initiative is very important to the Akufo-Addo government, the Vice President noted that effective teaching and learning is critical to developing the human capacity for work, innovation, and creativity.
“Globally, we know that the world is entering the era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, which is highly dependent on information technology. Today, we know that the amount of knowledge and resources for the purposes of teaching that are available on the internet is just phenomenal and therefore, one of the best ways to equip our teachers, is to make those resources and knowledge available to them as well.
“Ghana cannot be left out and today’s event further attests to the government’s commitment to the cause of education. Under the ‘One Teacher One Laptop’ programme, each teacher at every level of education from kindergarten to Senior High School, will receive a laptop,” he said on Friday.
He further commended all teachers in the country for their dedication and sacrifices in educating the next generation.
“Many of us here today, are products of your sacrifice and can testify to your indispensable role in educating our children,” he said.
Taking his turn, the Education Minister, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum said the provision of laptops for teachers, forms part of the government’s digitalisation agenda.
Elated about the initiative, Dr Adutwum said, “Teachers are going to get the opportunity to begin to practice what we have been preaching about for a long time. A teacher who is equipped with the requisite ICT tools to embark on teaching duties in the 21st century perspective.”
Meanwhile, the Director-General of Ghana Education Service, Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa assured teachers that the laptops will be equitably distributed to all teachers starting from Senior High School.
Ghanaians on Social Media seem to disagree with the Ghana Education Service’ decision to launch a laptop that must be used by teachers at their workplaces.
Sections of the public feel it was not necessary to launch the laptop.
***** Though a section of Ghanaians felt it was not necessary to launch laptops meant for Teachers, the GES believed it was prudent to inform the public of Government’s support for Ghanaian Teachers.*******
Check This Out: It is comparatively advantageous acquiring a Teaching Certificate from College than University – Ellis Ferdinand
SEND US YOUR STORIES FOR PUBLICATION VIA WHATSAPP NUMBER0506440219
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Scheme of Learning (SOL)HERE
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Curriculum HERE
Get the WAEC Marking Schemes HERE
Get the NaCCA/GES Standard-Based Lesson Plans HERE
Get the WAEC BECE, WASSCE, NTC Licensure Exam, and Teachers’ Promotion Exam Past Questions HERE
Download Teachers Guide on SBC and CCP Curriculums HERE
♥Copyright Notice: Content on This Website is Copyright Protected. No Part of this Content should be Reproduced without the Consent of the Author(s) or Recognition to the source of the Content.© 2020 Ellis Multimedia: EducationGhana.org: All Rights Reserved.♥