Ferdinand | EducationGhana | February 22 | Difference between Senior High Schools and Basic Schools under the Basic Education Policy
There have been contradictory interpretations regarding the definition of Basic Education in relation to the Basic and Senior High school levels in Ghana’s Pre-Tertiary Education system.
In this article, we take a comprehensive look at the key terminologies and their distinctive explanations.
Sustainable Development Goal 4 and Basic Education
The Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 is a key literature to the concept of Basic Education gaining international recognition.
Under SDG 4, Countries are expected to provide Universal Primary and Secondary Education to all children. In response to this requirement, Ghana took an entrenched position, that Secondary education shall be the minimum level of education for its citizens.
In this regard, Senior High Schools were added to the definition of “Basic Education”. This addition does not automatically transform Senior High Schools into Basic Schools.
The Pre-Tertiary Education Act, 2020 (Act 1049)
The Pre-Tertiary Education Act, 2020 (Act 1049) Section 1 clearly indicates that;
Basic Education Comprises;
- Two years of Kindergarten;
- Six years of Primary Education; and
- Three Years of Junior High School Education
Secondary Education Comprises;
- Three Years of Senior High School; or
- Three Years of Technical and Vocational Education and Training
Check This Out: Categories of Staff that qualify for Top Ranking Allowances in the GES
The major findings in this article indicate that;
There have been contradictions as to the concept of Basic Education in relation to the SDG 4 requirements and the Pre-Tertiary Education Act, of 2020 (Act 1049). This was identified in the following ways;
- SDG 4 requirements; Ghana Added Secondary Schools to the definition of ‘Basic Education
- Pre-Tertiary Education Act, 2020 (Act 1049); Does not add Secondary Schools to the definition of Basic Education
Check This Out: 2023 Teachers Promotion Exams: How to request Index numbers and Study Centres
It is recommended that;
- The National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA) should give a concise definition of Basic Education in consultation with the relevant stakeholders, taking into consideration the requirements of SDG 4 and the Pre-Tertiary Education Act, 2020 (Act 1049)
- The definition of Basic Education should be relevant to the Pre-Tertiary Education Act, of 2020 (Act 1049)
- The SGD 4 can still consider the definition of Basic Education by the Pre-Tertiary Education Act, 2020 (Act 1049)
- There is a need for comprehensive public education on the exact definition and composition of Basic Education as shall be determined by the stakeholder consultations.
Article By: Ferdinand Ellis
Expertise: Educational Research and Policy Analyst| Curriculum Specialist | Pedagogist | Education Blogger|
Institution: University of Education, Winneba, Ghana
Address: Post Office Box NB 179 Nii Boiman -Accra
Citation: Ellis, F. (2023). Difference between Senior High Schools and Basic Schools under the Basic Education Policy. Education Ghana Media Publications. EducationGhana.org
Check This Out: Senior High School Selection Guidelines for 2022 BECE Candidates
How to write and Address a Letter of Sponsorship as a School in the GES HERE
How to write and address any form of Letter to the Ghana Education Service HERE
How to write and Address an Application for Car Maintenance Allowance as a Teacher HERE
Check This Out: Top 10 Steps to Register and write Exams in KATon Computing Training Workshop
Check the SHS Grading System HERE
Download the 2022 basic and shs Academic Calendar HERE
Check This Out: JUST IN: Coalition of Concerned Teachers sacks acting President King Ali Awudu
Prospective Students can also check out the Admission Deadlines for Tertiary Institutions in Ghana as well as their Entry Requirements before Applying.
They can also check the institutions’ cut off pointsandHow to Applyto the various Tertiary Institutions in Ghana as well as the institutions’ Fees Schedulesfor any particular Semester or Year.
SEND US YOUR STORIES FOR PUBLICATION VIA WHATSAPP NUMBER0506440219
Get theNaCCA/GES Standard-Based Lesson Plans HERE
Get the Ghana Education ServiceNew Standard–Based Scheme of Learning (SOL)HERE
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Curriculum HERE
Get the WAECBECE, WASSCE, NTC Licensure Exam, and Teachers’ Promotion Exam Past Questions HERE
Download Teachers Guide on SBCand CCP Curriculums HERE
♥Copyright Notice: Content on This Website is Copyright Protected. No Part of this Content should be Reproduced without the Consent of the Author(s) or Recognition of the source of the Content.© 2020 Ellis Multimedia: EducationGhana.org: All Rights Reserved.♥