Ferdinand | EducationGhana |May 07| Departments and Programmes at UDS Tamale Campus School of Medicine
About UDS Tamale Campus School of Medicine
The report for the School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) for the 2018/ 2019 academic year covered the period from August 2018 to July 2019. During the period under review, various activities including teaching and research by senior members were carried out.
The SMHS also made strives to create and enhance the international visibility of the University for Development Studies (UDS) by hosting faculties from some universities in three African countries.
Faculty from the Parakou University of Benin, University of Burundi, Hope and Ngozi Universities of Burundi and Adama and Arksun Universities of Ethiopia visited between June and July 2019.
The main objective of the visits by these universities was to understudy the SMHS’ flagship programme, the Community Based Education and Service (COBES). The visits also culminated in the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between UDS and the Parakou University of Benin.
The School also hosted a ten-member delegation from Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare (AMPATH) for a possible collaboration. AMPATH is a global network of academic health centres collaborating with ministries of health in low and middle-income countries to ensure essential health care for all.
Another team from AMPATH, New York, is expected to visit UDS in December 2019 to possibly seal a deal on the partnership and sign an MoU for the commencement of the proposed project.
Philosophy and Mission
The philosophy and mission of the SMHS hinge on the mandate, method of teaching, researching and community work extension of the University.
The focus of the SMHS programmes is to realize human development through the training of a highly qualified and unique crop of health professionals who will serve with zeal in rural deprived communities in particular to improve upon the quality of life of such communities.
As an approach to achieving its Philosophy and Mission, the SMHS provides an integrative model of learning that develops health professional leaders to tackle the challenges in the health delivery system and to build healthy communities.
In doing so, the SMHS uses the Problem-Based Learning approach for the training of medical doctors and other health professionals.
As part of this methodology of training, students are deployed to rural and deprived communities for four weeks where the students identify health problems and develop proposals with the community members to solve the problems identified.
The students, while in the communities for the four-week period, also offer community service as well.
This form of training is known as COBES. Students in their clinical years are also deployed to district hospitals for six to eight weeks as part of the PBL system of training and community service which is the core mandate of the SMHS.
The district postings also afford the students the opportunity to provide support to medical officers in those hospitals.
Also, nurse anaesthesia students spend six-eight weeks in district hospitals learning under the supervision of the anaesthetists in those hospitals. At the same time, they provide anaesthesia services at the hospitals.
Departments at UDS Tamale Campus School of Medicine
- Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine
- Department of Clinical Microbiology
- Department of Clinical Psychology
- Department of Community Health and Preventive Medicine
- Department of Dentistry
- Department of Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat
- Department of Family Medicine
- Department of Health Professions Education and Innovative Learning
- Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics
- Department of Medical Research and Innovation
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Department of Pathology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physician Assistant Studies
- Department of Physiology and Biophysics
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Surgery
- Departments and Programmes at UDS Tamale Campus School of Allied Health Sciences
- Departments and Programmes at UDS Tamale Campus Faculty of Sustainable Development Studies
- Departments and Programmes at UDS Tamale Campus Faculty of Educational Studies
- Top 11 Institutions/Centres at UDS and their various Campuses
- UDS Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes for the 2023/2024 Academic Year
Programmes at UDS Tamale Campus School of Medicine
- BSc Nurse Anaesthesia
- BSc Physician Assistant
- Doctor Of Pharmacy
- MBChB (Medicine)
Check This Out Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 1 to 3
Check Out the 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 2
Check Out the 2023 Second Term Scheme of Learning for JHS 3
- GESOPS board of trustees demand GHC5,865 before responding to RTI requests
- How managers of the Second Tier Pension Scheme of GES Staff destroyed the Funds in the dark
- Study Leave with pay for the 2023/2024 Academic Year is Out
- Application for Teachers’ Assurance Letters to Districts for 2023/2024 Transfers Opens
- Top List of Regional and District GNAT Secretaries Recruited and Reposted in 2023
Check This Out: Senior High School Selection Guidelines for 2022 BECE Candidates
How to write and Address a Letter of Sponsorship as a School in the GES HERE
How to write and address any form of Letter to the Ghana Education Service HERE
How to write and Address an Application for Car Maintenance Allowance as a Teacher HERE
Check the SHS Grading System HERE
Download the 2022 basic and shs Academic Calendar HERE
SEND US YOUR STORIES FOR PUBLICATION VIA WHATSAPP NUMBER0506440219
Get the Ghana Education ServiceNew Standard–Based Scheme of Learning (SOL)HERE
Get the Ghana Education Service New Standard–Based Curriculum HERE
Get the WAECBECE, WASSCE, NTC Licensure Exam, and Teachers’ Promotion Exam Past Questions HERE
♥Copyright Notice: Content on This Website is Copyright Protected. No Part of this Content should be Reproduced without the Consent of the Author(s) or Recognition of the source of the Content.© 2020 Ellis Multimedia: EducationGhana.org: All Rights Reserved.♥